sábado, 2 de maio de 2020

Bobby Decordova-Reid lifts the lid on Neil Warnock's role in his shock Cardiff City exit

Fulham striker Bobby Decordova-Reid has suggested that former boss Neil Warnock played an instrumental role in his Cardiff City exit last summer.
The 27-year old made a shock deadline day move to Fulham on the final day of the summer transfer window, just 12 months on from an £8.5m transfer from Severnside rivals Bristol City.
The move dismayed many fans, with Warnock himself suggesting at the time that he wanted to keep the player to "build a team around".
However, according to Bristol Live, the forward told an Instagram Q and A that it was made clear he could not be guaranteed first team action following Cardiff's relegation to the Championship, adding that he was eventually told he could leave the club.
Looking back on the move, he said: "Let me take you back to Cardiff and how that happened because I don't think a lot of people know the story behind it and what happened.
"I know a few Cardiff fans are probably upset with how it happened but I remember we played Wigan in the first game of the season.
"Obviously I didn't play as much as I wanted to the season before in the Premier League, Neil Warnock was the manager at the time, it was down to him.
"I thought if he'd brought me in and wasn't going to play me then I didn't know if I could trust him the next season because the style of play he was playing didn't necessarily suit me.
"The reason I went there initially in the Premier League was because you kind of have to play some football to a certain extent in order to compete.
"In the Championship I wasn't too sure if they were going to revert back to how they'd played before so we had a talk in pre-season and he said he couldn't guarantee me to play games.
"My agent was looking elsewhere to see what he could find and there was interest from Fulham.
"I remember playing the first game for Cardiff, the window was still open, then I came in on the Monday and he told me I could go if I wanted to go.
"It was a massive surprise to me as I thought he might give me a chance to play. Once he said that I knew it wasn't going to work out there.
"I don't know what's been said from that side but I got told I could leave so I did."
Decordova-Reid left South Wales with five goals to his name, and there's still a feeling among some supporters that he was never given a chance to really realise his potential at the Cardiff City Stadium.
However, he insists he has no regrets over the move, adding that the opportunity to play in the top flight was too good to turn down.
"Obviously everyone wants to play in the Premier League and I got a call from my agent saying they were interested.
"I thought it was a place where I was going to play games, unfortunately I didn't necessarily play as much as I wanted to, but it was close to home as well.
"It was perfect, Premier League football and close to home, I didn't have to go up north and could stay close to family.
"It was something I couldn't turn down and to this day I don't regret it."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário