terça-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2016

MLS Moves: USL MVP Okoli signs with NYCFC


Though it is well-stocked with attacking firepower, New York City FC has signed a goalscorer to start the rebuilding for 2017.
USL MVP and Golden Boot winner Sean Okoli has signed an MLS contract to play for NYCFC. The former Seattle Sounders Homegrown signing scored 16 goals in 29 games for FC Cincinnati, which in its expansion season led the league in attendance and qualified for the playoffs. Okoli, 23, played at Wake Forest before starting his pro career with Seattle in 2014, and was traded to New England where he again failed to gain regular playing time. He signed with FC Cincinnati after the Revs released him.
“The beautiful game can take you to some great places and I feel so blessed to be here,” said Okoli to the NYCFC Web site. “I know the team plays attacking football and I love that, so I’m looking forward to being a part of it.”
NYCFC led MLS in goals scored last season with 62. Team leader David Villa scored 23 to rank second in the league but runner-up Frank Lampard (12 goals) has left the team and nobody else scored more than five, so there will be competition for playing time and scoring opportunities. Villa just turned 35 and without Lampard’s forays into the attack from midfield the scoring burden needs to be spread around.
“I know David Villa is a very special player who has scored big goals for big clubs so I just want to help continue this club’s success and score goals with him and with the rest of the team,” said Okoli. “It's a big club and we want to win here so it’s not going to be easy to just come here and continue to grow – I know I need to put the work in.”
He expressed eagerness about playing for head coach Patrick Vieira, who said, “To win the Golden Boot and to be named as MVP in USL at his age are great achievements and so I’m looking forward to working with him in pre-season and throughout next year.”
Aside from his one season in the USL, Okoli has played only nine first-team games as a pro. His callups to the U.S. U-18 and U-20 teams sparked much praise of his potential, which didn’t seem to emerge until he went to FC Cincinnati to play for former U.S. international John Harkes.
Now he will study and learn under one of the most acclaimed players of the past two decades, a winner of titles at the club level and a World Cup for France. “It means a lot to play under Patrick Vieira,” said Okoli. He’s been everywhere I want to be as a player and I know he has a lot of offer, so I’m excited to get working with him as I just want to continue to grow.
 “I like to work really hard on the field and to score goals and hopefully I can do that in an entertaining way here in New York.”

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário